Monday, October 26, 2009

Prehistoric Diorama

I started a big project last night. My first star book. I got thru cutting 7 signatures of 3 page layers of double sided cardstock. I thought before I made a mistake I would try out the sizes I cut and do a dry run first so I made this prehistoric diorama card.

Since the most interesting part of a diorama card happens inside the card I'm going to show you that first:

Stamps used: Starving Artistamps fern leaf set and Starving Artistamps Prehistoric one of our DoodleFactory collections.

You can find them here:

http://starvingartistamps.com/doodlefactory_prehistoric.html


and here:


http://starvingartistamps.com/house_and_garden.html



I used technique junkies techniques Depth of field and Van Gogh for the leaves and dinos.
Here is an angle shot of the layers together.


I kept the cover plain because there was a lot of action going on inside already.
Those paper leaves are Primas, I did some coloring on them with a green copic marker too.

Here you can see the spacing of the 3 layers, I did the spacing an inch apart.


Measurements and instructions:
1. Cut your cardstock to:
First layer: 5 1/2 x 9 (inside first panel)
Second layer: 5 1/2 x 10 (middle panel)
Third layer: 5 1/2 x 11 (outside/card front)

2. Fold them all in half.
3. cut out your center frames, I used 2 spellbinder nestabilities long rectangular dies.
I cut the larger one first. I taped it down on the back of my first layer card (so the tape wouldn't pull up the front of the card and make it yucky. I eyed the placement but feel free to measure if you feel the need. For the second smaller cut out I lined up the first and second panel on the fold and then centered the smaller rectangle inside the large frame I just made. Then I taped that down, removed the first layer and ran it through to cut out the second smaller frame.

4. The fun part... doing all the stamping, adding all the images and the leaves. Do all this before you attach your panels, it makes life easier. I used stampers magic 4" roll tape to do all my mounting and attaching.

5. glue each end of the card to the card below it. I used stampers magic 1/4" tape http://starvingartistamps.com/stampers_magic_tape.html to attach each edge. I ran a strip of tape on the edge of the 3nd panel (the back one) and then made sure the 2nd panel was lined up right before I stuck it to the second. Once that was stuck I added tape to the 2nd panel and attached the first panel.

6. last step, adding the jute ties to the side, I used a screw punch to punch through all those holes.

So all in all it was an interesting first glimpse of what I'm getting myself into with my star book project times 7! I don't think I will make my star book quite as cluttered as I made this one, I think I went a little over board on the leaves.

4 comments:

the PaperTemptress said...

This is just toooo cute! Love it love it love it!!

Patricia
the PaperTemptress

Willow said...

WOW!!! I am so impressed!! Your diorama is great!!! How intricate and detailed it is...I just love it!!!

Juliana said...

Amazing!!!
Fantastic work, T!

Sandra said...

very cool!
Sandra